Ann Norton Sculpture Gardens’ 2013 partnership with Kids’ Dreams Inc. was very successful and provided literacy opportunity for Title I students, grades Pre-K – grade 3 in Palm Beach County. Kids’ Dreams Inc. is committed to providing funding for Title I schools and economically disadvantaged children in the county. The Gardens is also committed to providing educational opportunities for disadvantaged and at-risk students. Through the generosity of Kids’ Dreams Inc., the Gardens provided our Literacy Days Program to 531 students which included 435 Title I students. This is an increase in total number of students served as well as the total number of Title I students served from past years.
The educational programs the Gardens presented with Kids’ Dreams Inc., funding included presentations by:
- Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office Literacy Coalition of Palm Beach County
- Author Deborah Burggraaf
- Author Marianne Berkus
- Poet Joonas Niiholm
- Poet, Musician Abasi Hanif
- Palm Beach County Library
- Author/Illustrator, Janeen Mason
- Horse Tales Project Storyteller, Mij Byram Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office
- Horse Tales Literacy Project Poet/Rotarian, Bill Pearl Simply Brilliant Ideas Author Janet Lifshin
Literacy Days focuses on literacy education with an emphasis on youth empowerment, inspiration, self expression and citizenship. Our program goals were to use language arts, the written and spoken word, imagination, music and culture to teach students the importance of education, staying in school, learning to read, and making good choices in school and life. In result, Literacy Days empowers students and provides them with tools and confidence for a successful future.